Our building was originally constructed in 1871 as a meetinghouse for the Maryville Society of Friends (Quakers). The Friends were a strong center for reconciliation after the Civil War, an attitude that continues to inform our mission into the twenty-first century.
When the Aluminum Company of America began its work in Blount County in 1917, Episcopalians came to make this area their home. An Episcopal mission was formed in 1923 with the first service held on May 27. The first service was held at the present location on December 8, 1940.
Many additions and restorations have occurred over the years. In all of them, we have retained the architectural simplicity and quietness of our Quaker roots. In 1963, transepts were added to both sides of the altar forming a cruciform figure. In 2004, the original Parish House was demolished and a new Parish House and Connector were built more than doubling our gathering spaces. The main room in our Parish House, known as the Great Hall, accommodates close to 250 people. A complete restoration of the Nave was undertaken in 2007 and in the same year, Saint Andrew’s was designated as a Blount County historic landmark.
The patio and walkway were added in 2007 to enhance the space between the church building and Parish House. The patio features bricks that honor the memory of loved ones and also tell the history of the parish by identifying past priests, bishops and wardens.
Located in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, Blount County is situated near the geographic center of the eastern United States and is within 500 miles of approximately 50 percent of the U.S. population. Our community is located in one of the fastest growing counties in Tennessee with approximately 120,000 residents. McGhee Tyson Airport, the principal commercial airport for East Tennessee, is located in Blount County, and Knoxville is only minutes away. A web of highways and interstates are also easily accessible.
The county is bordered on the east by the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and on the west by the great chain of lakes created by the Tennessee Valley Authority. The Little River, flowing out of the Great Smokies, winds its way across the county and into the lakes that are part of the Tennessee River system. Outdoor recreational opportunities abound, including hiking, camping, white water rafting, canoeing, kayaking, biking, tennis, and golf. Blount County has beautiful public parks and over 20 miles of greenways and paved bike trails.